If personal information privacy is important to you, then good news.
While you’re at SheepOverboard your personal information and the security of your phone, tablet, or computer are at minimal risk because we like to keep things simple. We carry no advertising and only link to known safe websites. However, keep in mind that no website is ever truly safe and browsing the Internet is inherently ‘risky’ for many reasons [see 1. to 7. below].
Website privacy policies describe how Internet websites handle information exchanged between website servers and visitors’ computers, tablets, or phones.
In short, SheepOverboard.com does not collect email addresses, Internet addresses, or personal information.
These are the possible exceptions:
- SheepOverboard’s web host, Funio Hosting, uses industry-standard web server software that collects IP (Internet Protocol address– the number assigned by your ISP when you go online) and saves them in the visitor site logs, which are normally used to provide numbers of visitors, their locations, and software versions of the connecting devices. These are stored on a last-in last-out basis and so expire. However the logs can be downloaded by either the host or by us for long-term storage. They contain no identifiable information other than your Internet address in the form of an IP number, the link that directed you to here, and your web browser type and device operating software. We can make no guarantees for the activities of either Scala Hosting, the data centre they use, or the people who work there. That’s right, nothing is safe, nothing is guaranteed.
- The WordPress engine that powers this website might contain code that tracks visitors across pages. However, WordPress is open-source software scrutinised by large numbers of coding professionals. It’s probably safe.
- The WordPress theme supplied free by Milo317 is auditable by the same WordPress community and, like the WordPress engine, is probably clean and safe. Milo is a well-known and respected web designer. However vulnerabilities exist in all software libraries and coding.
- Your Government is tracking this thing called “metadata” so they know where you go on the Internet. On learning that you visited SheepOverboard.com, however, they will likely file your dossier under ‘dumbass’ and you’ll probably fall off their watch list.
- No other known code that passively or actively accesses your computer – via your web browser – operates on this web site. However, it is always possible, even likely, that this web site may be compromised and malicious code inserted that will attempt to damage or steal information, or infect your computer.
- You should run the latest version of your favorite web browser and update all vital software on your PC – especially Adobe’s Flash, Shockwave, and Reader. You will find most websites nowadays work fine if using a PC and you uninstall Adobe’s Flash. You should do this now.
- Phones and tablets are more difficult to protect. Always upgrade the device when manufacturer’s notifications appear. Install as few “apps” as possible on your device. Just those you need to get things done
- Your computer, tablet, or phone must always use Anti-virus software from a reputable vendor. This software must always be up to date, preferably on an hourly basis.
Legal pages like this are a dime a dozen, a paper tiger, for all the good they do. You would think.
Lawyers think differently and, if push comes to shove, the absence of seeming nonsense like this on a website is a severe disadvantage in court.
The Internet is a cyberworld many consider a lawless victimless videogame.
While chaos reigns in virtual jungle and sewer, rule of law is doing very well thank you in digital downtown – and its reach grows daily.
Art, film, literature, and websites, are creations of intellect. Hence intellectual property. Legal manoeuvering to avoid this simple truth might succeed. You can steal it, even steal it "fair and square" – but it’s still mine
A few pointers, if you find this concept difficult:
- Honest webmasters, take it and give me credit
- Moral imbeciles, take it and call it your own
- The content of SheepOverboard.com is protected by an esoteric, sophisticated, intrinsic, embedded technology to prevent theft: the Google duplicate content penalty. Steal our stuff and your ratings plummet.
In our context, this means taking stuff found by either you or your harvest bot on SheepOverboard.com and using it without attribution or copyright permission.
We don’t hugely object. We just don’t wish to jeopardise our licensing agreements with Getty Images or Cagle Cartoons.
- Photographs, unless attributed to a source, are creations of SheepOverboard and no license is granted for any sort of re-use – unless the image is specifically labeled with a Creative Commons mark.
- Photographs not ©SheepOverboard are licensed from an agency, which license prohibits 3rd-party on-use. So, off you go to iStockPhotos and get your own.
- Cartoons and drawings are, unless marked otherwise, ©caglecartoons.com and licensed to SheepOverboard for single site use. Buy your own at Cagle.
- Hot-linking to images is allowed, BUT ONLY if NOT an attempt to circumvent the previous restrictions – and …
- Hot-linking is therefore allowed only for editorial, commentary, or forum use, not to illustrate content – such as an article - on your site
- and especially not to enhance a commercially-oriented website.
- Hotlinking requires an attribution back to SheepOverboard wherever possible. Those who will, will, and those who don’t read this .. probably won’t.
- Why do we allow hotlinking? It’s free link love and publicity.
It means all text is ©SheepOverboard.com. Everything written on any page on this web site.
Conditions of theft:
- Articles marked Creative Commons may be reproduced on your website in line with the CC licence type. Typically non-commercial with attribution.
- Material from this website may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part verbatim. Offending webmasters should realize their own website’s rankings (the only way you will ever be seen on the Internet) suffer when duplicate material is detected by search engines.
- ONLY for the purpose of groveling admiration (in a highly-appreciative review in our favor) may sections of our copyrighted, original content be used (full articles must not be duplicated) – with these provisos:
- Your website must refer to sheepoverboard.com as the originator of the material and contain a link to sheepoverboard.com
- Your website and its content must NOT contravene terms of agreement sheepoverboard.com holds with its affiliates and sponsors – were we to have any
- Deep linking to articles, etc., is fine with us.
WARNING: We vigorously protect our copyright interests. Our diminutive leader has pledged pre-emption and our military are proficient interdictors. Be afraid.
- Use of material requires permission in advance of use – freely given to websites that do not contain material either offensive to sheepoverboard.com‘s target audience or prohibited by our sponsors and affiliates – as stated above.
Requests, positive comments (we are gentile and easily offended), and even offers to submit articles, should be sent to the editor
Disclaimer of Warranties and Liability
- This web site contains material that, while copyrighted and owned by the author, may contain representations of material belonging to third parties, including possible copyrights, trademark or service marks.
- In all cases sheepoverboard.com and the author claim no connection, association, arrangements, or agreements with the holders of such third party copyright, trademark, or service marks.
- Exceptions to the preceding: – UNLESS that is the stated intent of such usage, or using such logos, etc., attempting to earn green stuff.
Our intention is for sheepoverboard.com to be an interesting and enjoyable place but cannot guarantee that you will always find everything to your liking. Please read this Disclaimer carefully before using the Site.
SheepOverboard content is created in Australia but broadcast from servers located in the United States. Increasingly these servers are in “the cloud” (“the cloud” = someone else’s server) and nobody knows where the website is at any moment. Which is to say, I’ll leave it up to you to figure out which country’s copyright laws apply.
Copyrighted material, whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner, constitutes a "fair use" of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law.
If your own purposes (using any material quoted, reproduced, or "fairly-used" on this website) go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.
Nasty legal stuff aka DISCLAIMER
CAPITALs suggest a lawyer is talking.. and that we really hate our visitors and wouldn’t trust them as far as the nearest Ethernet router.
YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THIS SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK.
THE FIRST RISK, WHICH APPLIES TO ALL WEBSITES IN EXISTENCE, IS THE INCREASING LIKELIHOOD AT LEAST ONE PAGE HAS BEEN HACKED AND MALICIOUS CODE INSERTED TO COMPROMISE YOUR COMPUTER – WITHOUT OUR KNOWLEDGE, OF COURSE. NOT MUCH CAN BE DONE TO PREVENT THIS EXCEPT WE DILIGENTLY APPLY SOFTWARE BUG-FIXES AND KEEP UPDATING DISPARATE WEBSITE SOFTWARE COMPONENTS TO THE LATEST AND/OR MOST SECURE VERSION.
A NEVER-ENDING AND ULTIMATELY FUTILE QUEST. TRY, HOWEVER, WE MUST.
YOU, ON THE OTHER HAND, MUST NOT ONLY INSTALL ANTI-VIRUS AND ANTI-SPYWARE PROTECTION, BUT KEEP THE BUGGERS UP TO DATE!!
STAYING ALIVE IS A TWO-WAY STREET HERE IN CYBERLAND.
BECAUSE OF THE NUMBER OF POSSIBLE SOURCES OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, AND THE INHERENT HAZARDS AND UNCERTAINTIES OF ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTION, THERE MAY BE DELAYS, OMISSIONS, INACCURACIES, OR OTHER PROBLEMS WITH SUCH INFORMATION. IF YOU RELY ON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY MATERIAL AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM ANY MATERIAL AND/OR DATA DOWNLOADED FROM OR OTHERWISE PROVIDED THROUGH THE SITE.
THIS SITE IS PROVIDED TO YOU *AS IS,* *WITH ALL FAULTS,* AND *AS AVAILABLE.* Sheepoverboard.com AND ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS AND LICENSORS CANNOT AND DO NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, CURRENTNESS, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OF THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE. NOR DO THEY GUARANTEE THAT THE SITE WILL BE ERROR-FREE, OR CONTINUOUSLY AVAILABLE, OR THAT THE SITE WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL sheepoverboard.com OR ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS OR LICENSORS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF USE OF THE SITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR SIMILAR DAMAGES, EVEN IF WE ARE ADVISED BEFOREHAND OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. (BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN CATEGORIES OF DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE LIABILITY OF sheepoverboard.com AND ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS AND LICENSORS IS LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY SUCH STATE LAW)